Advantages and disadvantages of consolidating school districts within a state
Carey in his "English Atlas," states Shropshire to be 47 miles long, 38 broad, and 210 in circumference, containing 1,320 square miles; Wilts to be 54 miles long, 34 broad, and 210 in circuit, containing 1,200 square miles, or 760,000 acres. Melverley was anciently called THE HUNDRED OF OSWESTRY. The latter name signifies a sea-like place, Melverley being much subject to floods. The hundred of Pimhill is bounded on the north by Flintshire, on the east by the hundred of Bradford and the liberties of Shrewsbury; on the south by the liberties of Shrewsbury and the hundred of Ford; and on the west by the hundred of Oswestry. Pimhill contains a mixture of boggy land, and of sand lying over a red sand-stone, with a greater proportion of sound wheat land. Many ineffectual attempts had been made to obtain a new act; but the town meetings convened for that purpose had uniformly withheld their consent to such a measure.The river Severn, running through the county from northwest, to south-east, divides it into parts which are not very unequal. An artificial division is made by the Roman highway, called Watling Street, which entering the county on the east, between Crackley-bank and Weston, passes through it in a bending line, to Leintwardine in Herefordshire, on the southern borders. The Parish of Sellatyn, contains the townships of 1. The parish contains 1,450 acres, and has two constables. The parish of Oswestry, in the lower division of the hundred, contains only the township of Morton. The Ellesmere canal runs through the whole hundred, and the river Severn enters Shropshire and bounds the northern part of the hundred near Melverly, where it unites with the Vyrnwy, or Virniew, which bounds it on the north-west, and first touches the county about Llanymynech. The population of this hundred in 1821 was 11,874; the number of inhabited houses, 2,112; the number of families, chiefly employed in agriculture, 1,423; in trade and manufactures, 696. At length on the 28th of May, 1821, a bill received the royal assent, which though not so perfect as it might have been, has conferred such powers upon a Committee of Management as have already produced considerable effects.This discomfiture only served to add fresh fuel to the warlike spirit of the Welsh, roused as it had already been by the rapacious encroachments of the Norman barons. The conqueror had sanctioned and authorised these encroachments, for finding himself foiled in his repeated attempts to reduce those high spirited foes to submission, by the force of arms, he adopted a politick mode of warfare, and issued grants to certain of his favourites, of all the lands they should be able to conquer from the Welsh. A commission so absolute, bears a strong analogy to the mandate of a modern despot of our own times, to one of his ablest Generals; "Go and conquer a country over which you are destined to reign." He also endeavoured to divide and weaken the Welsh Border Chieftains themselves, by promising a confirmation of all their rights and privileges in return for a simple acknowledgment of dependence on the English crown, and by threatening the seizure of their possessions by right of conquest, as a punishment for their refusal of allegiance. If this division be not allowed,- the borough of Shrewsbury must be considered as included in the liberties of Shrewsbury, Bishopscastle borough and liberties, in the hundred of Purslow; the borough and liberties of Ludlow, in the hundred of Overs; and the liberties of Bridgnorth, in the hundreds of Brimstry, and Stottesden. The hundred of Oswestry is bounded on the west by Montgomeryshire, and Denbighshire; on the north by the rivers Ceiriog, and Dee, and the stream of Shelbrook, which separate it from Denbighshire, and Flintshire; on the east by the hundred of Pimhill; and on the south by the rivers THE HUNDRED OF OSWESTRY. Hence appear to have originated the seignories and jurisdictions of the Lords Marchers. 767 Verniew, and Severn, which divide it from Montgomeryshire, and from the hundred of Ford.- The soil consists of loam and gravel, some marl, and a large portion of black peaty bog. It is, if not the largest inland county in the kingdom, at least the largest but one. having in 1669, married Judith, eldest daughter of Thomas Edwardes the elder, by Frances, daughter of John Aldersey, of Spurstom and Aldersey, in the county of Chester, Esq. The parish of West Felton, in the upper division of the hundred of Oswestry, contains the townships of 1. The Market here was discontinued in the year 1730, but a fair for sheep is still held on Midsummer day. The parish of Kinnerley, contains the townships of 1. In the time of William Rufus it was possessed by the Fitz-alans. William Wilson, William Smith, and Joseph Londale, Esquires.Indeed, the only one that competes with it is Wiltshire, which is stated in the publick documents to be 1,379 square miles in area, while that of Shropshire is set down in the same authorities at 1,341. The old mansion house of Kilhendre was a curiosity, as showing the superiority in comforts which modern structures possess. The castle was demolished by Stephen, and so effectually, that not a vestige of it now remains, and it is even uncertain where it was situated. The parish of Ellesmere, contains the townships of 1. While most other towns, many of them of far inferior pre.
It lies nearly within 52 and 53 degrees of north latitude, and 2 and 3 degrees west longitude from London. Between the parallel stones, a stratum of red earth was cut through, about an inch thick, and being cast upon the bank, some dogs present, eat of it freely. From the summits above, may be seen the small but graceful lake of Lluncklyss, the fine and venerable tower of Oswestry Church; and in the distance, the column and elegant spires of Shrewsbury. The parish of Ellesmere, in the upper division of the hundred of Oswestry, contains the townships of 1. Hugh Edwardes was the son of Edward ap John ap David ap Madoc ap Ada ap Jorwerth Vychan ap Cadyfor ap Trahairn ap Idon (of Dudleston) ap Rhys Sais (who married Eva, daughter of Griffith ap Griffith ap Rhys, Prince of South Wales) ap Edneved (who married Jonetta daughter of Rhywallon ap Cynvyn Prince of Powis A. 1064) ap Llowarch Gam ap Lludocca ap Tudor Trevor, Earl of Hereford, A. by whom he had issue two daughters, Frances and Anne, who dying unmarried, the Kilhendre and other estates descended by intail to the family of Morrall,- John Morrell of Plas Yollen, Esq. The constables for Shotatton and Shelvocke are chosen at Ruyton, where suit and service are also performed. In the time of Edward the Confessor it was held by one Edric, who strongly fortified the castle built by his father, which had suffered considerable injury in the petty wars of the barons. And on the evening of Tuesday, September 9th, 1806, his royal highness, George, prince of Wales, accompanied by the Duke of Clarence, passed through Shrewsbury, on his way to Rossall and Loton, the seats of Cecil Forester, Esq., M. Chad's church and Barker street to Rossall, where, on the following morning, he was, according to his royal highness's pleasure, signified to that effect, attended by a select deputation, consisting of the mayor, senior alderman, and high steward, * which last gentleman delivered a loyal address and received a gracious answer.
After a violent contest of nearly a hundred and fifty years, the Heptarchy being established, the county again changed its masters, and was incorporated with Mercia, [the kingdom of Mercia which was founded by Cridda in 582 and ended in 874, included Gloucester, Hereford, Worcester, Warwick, Leicester, Rutland, Northampton, Lincoln, Huntingdon, Bedford, Buckingham, Oxford, Stafford, Derby, Salop, Nottingham, Chester, and part of Hereford] the largest, if not the most powerful of the seven in the kingdom. Greater powers than those which the new act confers, are requisite, that a spacious market may be provided, that the streets may be relieved from the encumbrance of booths, sheds and shambles, and that the monthly cattle fairs, by which the safety of passengers is endangered, and more than one of their senses are grievously annoyed, may be removed to some eligible contiguous situation.
The British Princes long disputed these favourite possessions of their ancestors, and though they were compelled by the war-like King Offa, and a confederacy of Saxon Princes, to retreat to Mathrafael among the mountains of Powis, they frequently made inroads on their usurping neighbours. The pavement, too, must ever continue rugged and jolting, while three ton wagon loads of coals, which might be carried across the Raven meadow, are tamely suffered to drag along the streets.
But in these statements, it is admitted that no allowance is made for detached parts. The parish of Oswestry, contains the townships of 1. The rooms were low, gloomy and inconvenient, a large Hall occupying half the house. In the reign of Queen Elizabeth, Melverley was sold by Henry Earl of Arundel, to Thomas Young, Archbishop of York. Willaston purchased it of the Archbishop, and shortly after sold it to the Earls of Craven, in whose hands it remained till the year 1780, when it became the property of the Earl of Powis, by purchase. tensions, had been advancing in the scale of internal improvement, HISTORY OF SHREWSBURY. Its streets continued almost as narrow and crooked as they had been for centuries before, its pavement of the rudest description, its thinly scattered lamps diffusing little more than a visible darkness, and its air polluted by the exhalations of open kennels.
Fuller in his "Worthies of England," states it to be "the largest land-lock shire in England," not excepting Wilts, with which he compares it. (Lower) The increase of population in Sellatyn parish is attributed to the number of cottages built upon land cultivated since 1811. Some passages leading to nothing, and others made to favour escape from behind the tapestried walls. The present house and demesnes were alienated in 1800, and soon after purchased by the present owner, Mr. The manor includes the whole of the parish, and also the township of Tir y coed, in the parish of Kiunerley. The chapel is of no value in the King's Books, and belonged formerly to Llandrinio Parish, in the county of Montgomery, the rector of which place is patron. A detached part of the hundred of Pimhill, viz., the chapelry of Albrighton, is surrounded by Shrewsbury liberties. These and similar nuisances were occasioned by the scanty provisions of the Street Act of twenty nine George the second; the funds created by which were so limited as to prevent the possibility of incurring any expenses in order to remove those grievances.
The evils attending these hostilities induced that prince to cause a deep dyke and rampart to be made, which extended a hundred miles along the mountainous border of Wales, from the Clwyddian Hills to the Mouth of the Wye. Till these and some other enormities are redressed, of which at present there appears little probability, Shrewsbury may be considered as but partially rescued from its original barbarism, and the poet's qualified commendation of the drama of his country, may be very justly applied to the subject before us: grave virus Munditite populere, sed in longum tamen aevum Manserunt, hodieque menent vestigia ruris.